Sunday, November 9, 2008

Computer Architecture CEdu581 Week 2

1pt Install an OS

I've installed an OS... maybe two dozen times. Unfortunately there isn't much of a story to it. With the exception of the transition from MacOS 9 to X they've all been much the same. I suppose there was a bit of a difference between System 7 and 8 but anymore it is extremely easy on the latest Apple Computers.


1pt Upgrade or install a OS patch, Service Pack or Upgrade for your OS

As for patches, those come out so frequently I couldn't even tell you how many I've "installed". Of course by install I mean, click the button that says download.


1pt Use an alternative OS for regular daily tasks (stretch your comfort zone)

I have been a Mac Evangelist since Pre-Web era so I consider the use of an alternative OS as a pretty regular occurrence. I've never worked in a Mac environment and I've never had a roommate that owned a Mac so I've been in their world the whole of my adult life. My reflections on using Windows is and always has been that the the user experience is always slightly clumsy. It is almost trite to say it but I always say that Windows is fine as long as the user has an IT department. Unfortunately, the average user lacks this. For most computer companies tech support is a money drain so users are left to help each other.


2pts Watch "Pirates of the Silicon Valley"

I NetFlixed Pirates of Silicon Valley when this assignment was mentioned in class. I had wanted to see it but never gotten around to it for some reason. After I watched it I knew why. The movie is ok. I Like the story but it certainly could have been done better. For instance I would have liked for the movie to have explained Woz's memory loss more. Also while Jobs is clearly the more interesting story of the two because of his estranged daughter and explosive temperment, Balmer mentions that Gates yelled at everyone but Jobs. I'd like to have seen maybe more of the culture of his office. The movie never even mentioned Redmond Washington. Anyway. I'd like to have seen more of this. I read an interesting novel in college titled Microserfs by Douglas Coupland and while fictional it was extremely interesting.

1 comment:

~Kirstin said...

Complete - good job...