Sunday, September 21, 2008

Elgg'd

Wouldn't it be nice if every technology idea we had could be implemented... like, tomorrow?

This past week I investigated Elgg as part of the group work for CEdu534 and thought how great it would be for the school's sense of togetherness if there was a Facebook that was just the school. It could be accessed from within the school and used in many of the same ways. I won't belabor the point because we went into this in our forum discussion of the Think.com Podcast but I would add that my school is always talking about enhancing the community of the school.

At the moment, I am trying to push using Moodle in this way. We've created Moodle classrooms for clubs and we are talking about making a place for the Student Congress to collaborate on projects.

2 comments:

SarahCorona said...

I couldn't agree more! It would be nice to use the technology when it is still new and exciting for students. I am sure that many of your students would use a program like Elgg because most of them probably have a myspace or facebook account. Once they have been doing this for a long time it might not be as fun/interesting for them.

Tech-lou-ology said...

Elgg is an interesting software idea - open source and can be use within Moodle - keep us posted if you get it going.