I have to say that I'm loving Google Reader this past week. I had used the Safari or maybe Firefox RSS subscriber for all of ten minutes over the summer and ditched it quickly. If I recall, the problem was that I signed up for the EnGadget feed which was a mistake. Talk about a fire hose. EnGadget probably has a new post every five minutes and that quickly overwhelmed me. I was conscious of that this time.
What makes me love it this time around is that I've been reading four or five political website that get updated throughout the day by several authors. My previous killer feature had been tab browsing (circa two or three years ago) which completely changed the way I viewed the internet.
What I was doing with these politics sites was tabbing open The Swamp, Poltico, Swampland, Mudflats and ABCNews Politics. Next I would go down to where I thought I had left off and start reading from the bottom up. OF course as I went these sites would be giving me more links to recent article from the Washington Post, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, YouTube, the Atlantic Monthly, Wall Street Journal and so on and so forth. You get the point. I usually did this at during my lunch time and usually I couldn't get through everything I wanted to read.
With Google Reader I'm able to see exactly how many new posts there are on each site and I only have to go to one spot for them. This greatly reduces my tab quantity and at the same time I am able to skip a few more of the articles because I get a list of their title and I can determine whether I want to actually read it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment