Wednesday, December 3, 2008

CEdu 581 Computer Architecture Closing

On Value: It is difficult to comment on the value of anything until an adequate amount of time has passed to let us assess our experience objectively. I say this because I fully intend to discover some great use for a seemingly useless bit of knowledge from every class in the coming years.
That said if I had to nail down a piece of value from CEdu 581 I am quite certain that it is the information on the "how". I like computers and technology and I am often consdered to be pretty geeky but I had no real concept of what was going on in that processor or how a computer started itself up. The fact that I have little to no use for this information at the present does not deter me from the belief that this is useful information. Part of owning a Mac is the realization that I might not ever have to tinker around with my hardware and thus I accept a little be too much on what I'm being told. I now know better.
Also, watching the Cringley and Pirates videos were interesting because the drama that went with the personal computing revolution adds to the story and gives us a greater understanding of these companies that we have seemingly handed our wallets.

Devaluing: Honestly, I'd have to say that the Build Your Own PC ativity was lost on me simply because, as a Mac user, I'm pretty railroaded in. Also, as a Mac fanboy of sorts, I have spent free time idlely building a Mac Pro that I could never afford for fun. There was value to the excercise in that I was able to conceive a bit better why I was buying what because of the class, but at the same time I've done that before too.

And that as they say is that.

This is Quinn Loucks signing off. Thanks for all the fish.

No comments: